[wpdd-discuss] Section 1.iv and Trademarks

Jason Self j at jxself.org
Fri Nov 18 23:45:38 EST 2022

Section 1.iv has:

  iv. rights protecting against unfair competition in regards to a
      Work, subject to the limitations in paragraph 4(a), below;

However: 4(a) was removed. In CC0 it said:

 a. No trademark or patent rights held by Affirmer are waived,
 abandoned, surrendered, licensed or otherwise affected by this
 document.

The intention is indeed not to waive or license trademarks. Would it
be better to restore 4a (but without the patent piece)? Another idea
that had come up was removing "subject to the limitations in
paragraph 4(a), below" but I wonder if the lack of a limitation could
be read as include trademarks in the waiver, since trademark
infringement is a form of unfair competition? As a result I think I'm
leaning in the direction of doing the former, unless there are better
ideas.